Silencers are legal to own in 42 states and growing. Silencers can be purchased through an authorized dealer but are regulated by the National Firearms Act (NFA) Branch of the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco Firearms and Explosives. This means there is a few extra steps for purchasing compared to a regular firearms. The following outlines what you need to legally purchase a silencer.
- Be a resident of a state where silencers are legal
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Be a United States resident
- Be legally allowed to purchase a firearm
- Pass an ATF background check that usually needs 6 to 9 months to process
- Pay a onetime fee of $200
To purchase a suppressor you will need to find an authorized dealer in your area. Once you find the silencer you want the Dealer will assist you in filling out a Form 4. This is the form you will send into ATF along with the following:
- ATF Form 4 (duplicate)
- FBI Form FD-258s in black ink
- $200 Check to BATFE-NFA
- Passport Photos
- ATF Form 5320.23 (if using a trust)
Lastly, notify your local Chief Law Enforcement Officer by sending in a copy of your Form 4.
Join our mailing list to stay up to date on new Silencer legislation.
View a map of where Silencers are legal in the United States
Learn more about how Silencers do more then save your hearing
Read about Noise-Induced Hearing Loss